How do I import data into PY online?
Sailwave and HAL files must be uploaded through the programme, found in the 'plug-ins' tab.
Only XML files may be uploaded directly on to the website. For the XML format please email email@example.com.
What should I do if I am having difficulty importing data?
Please try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Ensure you have an up to date version of these programmes.
- Check that each race date is in the format yyyy-mm-dd.
- Check that there are no symbols in the cells such as '/' in the sail number column.
- Check that the race data makes sense for scoring - elapsed times and corrected times are shown etc.
- If these are all correct please send a file of a race you are trying to upload with a description of what is happening and what errors are shown to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: PY Online will only upload directly from Sailwave or HAL.
What is the criteria for a race to be included in the overall PY calculations?
A race must fulfil the following criteria:
- Needs to have more than 3 finishers
- Must have more than one Class
- Must not less than 20 minutes
Who is included in the PY Calculations?
Only top 66% of finishers are used to calculate the average corrected time.
Only those that finish within 105% of the average corrected time of top 66% of finishers are counted.
If one class is always excluded and therefore never has an adjustment, the class needs a significant local handicap change, one example:
- Compare the average achieved PN of best sailor in each fleet.
- Take the best sailor in the class with biggest turnout and few exclusions
- Work out the percentage difference between the achieved PN and used PN
- Apply same difference to best sailor in the class with a problem adjusting
- This creates a good starting point to allow the class to get some results into PY Online for proper adjustment.
- If there is not a good sailor in the Class that is always excluded, take the best sailor from that class and use a similar performer from the bigger fleet as the reference point. This is easier for junior fleets etc.
- This may be difficult for Committees to pass, so running this alongside the ‘correct’ PNs for a season may help.